Monday, July 03, 2006

Long time no post

Some of you may have seen the news about the flooding in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Thanks to that lovely event, I spent all day trying to catch up on reviews and all the discussion board posts.

My goodness, everyone is rather prolific!

I hope to put up a post with pictures and the whole story. We'll see how that goes.

In library school related news, I've discovered that I am living proof of some of the ideas in The Social Life of Information by Brown and Duguid.

One of their points is that the community atmosphere developed in an office provides support for users of technology. I can vouch for that!

I work as a paralegal and trustee assistant. For the past two weeks, I have been out of the office working at a record pressing facility supervising the release of certain materials. It's actually more fun than it sounds. One of my co-workers has basically the same job description I do. We work on the same files and use the same specialized software. Almost everyday, she would call me to ask a question about that software.

Most of the questions were silly. I'm not saying that to insult my co-worker. The questions she asked were ones that we would have discussed at our desks without ever noticing it. But because she had to call me on the phone, our network became obvious. We rely on each other to get our jobs done. Although both of us are capable of doing the job alone, we work better as a team.

It's nice to see some practical application of the books we are reading.

No comments: